Suspensions titled "05" are similar to "04"
suspensions. Your license was suspended because you failed to purchase or maintain the required SR22
To reinstate your license you must:
Purchase SR22 insurance from an automobile insurance company.
- Once the insurance company informs the Illinois Secretary of State that you have purchased this insurance, your suspension will be automatically lifted.
- Note: It takes approximately three weeks for the insurance company to complete its processing and submit the information to the Illinois Secretary of State. Therefore, it is highly recommended that once you receive the SR22 insurance from the insurance company, you bring a copy of the insurance in person to the Illinois Secretary of State (see address below). This will allow you to receive your license much sooner.
Maintain SR22 insurance.
- If your license was suspended because you were in an automobile accident and did not have SR22 insurance as required:
- You must maintain the SR22 insurance for three years without lapse or cancellation. If you fail to do this, the Illinois Secretary of State will again suspend your license.
- If your license was suspended because you were stopped for a moving violation and did not have insurance as required:
- You must maintain the SR22 insurance for one year without lapse or cancellation. If you fail to do this, the Illinois Secretary of State will again suspend your license.
- Note: You should keep a copy of your SR22 certificate and your suspension reinstatement papers in your glove compartment at all times.
Chicago Public Service Center
17 North State Street
Chicago, Illinois 60602
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.