Bond cards from the authorized companies, click here, are acceptable as bail in Cook County for only the following offenses:
- Fine-only minor traffic offenses that are subject to the bail schedule of Illinois Supreme Court Rule 526(a).
- Speeding, but only when more than 20 mph over the posted limit but not more than 30 mph over the posted limit. 625 ILCS 5/11-601, Ill. Sup. Ct., R 526(c)
- Use of safety belts, driver or passenger. 625 ILCS 5/12-603.1, Ill. Sup. Ct., R 526(c)(8).
Automobile bond cards can be accepted as bail only in amounts up to $160 for a single offense and $500 for multiple offenses.
The Circuit Court of Cook County can recover the monies from the bond companies for the traffic offenders who fail to appear in court only if the bond cards accepted by law enforcement officers are valid. For a bond card to be valid in Cook County, it must:
1. be issued by an authorized company on the enclosed list;
2. not be expired on the date of the traffic offense;
3. be signed by the traffic offender; and
4. be accepted as bail for only the traffic offenses listed above.
Also, please note that roadside assistance cards are not bond cards and cannot be accepted as bail.
For a downloadable version of this information, click here.