For the purposes of these rules, the following words and terms shall have the following definitions:
- case: an action or proceeding;
- elder or elderly person: any party or victim in any case heard in any Department or Division of the circuit court who is age 60 or older when the action is filed or, in criminal actions, at the time of the offense charged;
- elder law case: a case so designated in the general orders of this court;
- he, him, or his: words of the masculine gender apply equally to females;
- order of protection: an order of protection as defined in Part 22 of the rules of this court;
- party: one by or against whom a lawsuit is brought, including a person who has a stake or standing in the lawsuit and who is entitled to enforce rights from the final outcome of the litigation, except that a party does not include the accused in criminal matters;
- related case: another pending action or proceeding involving the same elderly person;
- vulnerable: appearing vulnerable to abuse, neglect, or self-neglect as defined in the Elder Abuse and Neglect Act at 320 ILCS 20/2.
Dated this 29th day of August, 2013, effective immediately. This Rule shall be spread upon the records of this Court and published.
ADOPTED BY A MAJORITY OF THE JUDGES OF
THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY.