Emancipation of Minors

In Illinois, the Emancipation of Minors Act (750 ILCS 30/1 et seq.) allows individuals under the age of 18 to obtain the legal status of an emancipated person in situations where the minor who is living wholly or partially independent of their parents or guardians (1) has demonstrated the ability and capacity to manage their own affairs or (2) is a homeless minor who is located in the state.

Petitions for emancipation of a minor are heard by the County Division.

Go to County Division

To obtain required forms for filing a Petition for Declaration of Emancipation of a Minor, visit the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County's website.

For more information, review the Guide to Understanding the Emancipation of a Minor.